Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Training Program
Our CDL Training Program is designed to provide the highest quality of training for students to begin a career as a professional truck driver. In the classroom, students will be introduced to the operating rules and regulations that govern trucking operations. Hands-on training will guide students through learning safe operating practices in all phases of handling a truck tractor semi-trailer combination vehicle. The class concludes with the State of ND CDL drive test. Class size is limited to 4 students per instructor to allow the maximum learning experience. Classes are offered in Williston, Minot and Dickinson(in partnership with Dickinson State University). A certificate is awarded upon successful completion of instruction.
Prerequisites and Registration
- Must be at least 18-years-old; however, the required age for operating with a CDL outside of state lines is 21 years of age
- Be able to read and speak the English language in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations
- Complete the application form and submit in-person or online to email@example.com
- 10% non-refundable deposit to hold a seat that goes towards the full tuition
- Remaining tuition balance two (2) weeks prior to class start date*
- Must obtain a DOT drug screen dated within two (2) weeks of the class start date*
- Must have a current Class A Commercial Driver's Permit (passing of the knowledge, air-brake and combination tests)*
- Medical Examiner's Certification from DOT Physical*
- Motor Vehicle Report (MVR can be obtained here)*
Class size is limited, and enrollment is based on a first-come, first-served basis. Waiting lists are established once classes have met maximum enrollment. Class dates come out on a quarterly basis. To view upcoming classes, click here.
Class ScheduleClass meets 5 days a week, Monday - Friday. Classroom instruction days meet from 8AM-5PM. Attendance is mandatory. Students that fail to attend or notify instructor of leave may incur an additional charge for make-up time.
3-day Classroom Instruction: Driver qualifications, hours of service, log books, driver wellness, driver fatigue, air brakes, whistle blower protection, pre-trip inspections, defensive driving.
Hands-on Driving: Vehicle inspections, basic controls, shifting and clutching systems, backing (straight line, offset, alley dock), speed control and management, hazard perception, defensive driving skills, on-road driving on city and rural roadways as well as highway routes.
Upon class completion, students will take their North Dakota CDL Drive Test utilizing our trucks. Students are limited to three (3) attempts. After three (3) unsuccessful attempts, the student will be required to pay the $300 truck rental fee if they wish to retest.
TrainND must follow FMCSR regulations, which include hours of service. Students cannot work more than 12 hours a day, including class time. Students must also have a 10-hour nightly reset, and a 34-hour reset on weekends. Students who do not get their resets each day and or weekend will not be allowed in class and will need to pay for additional make-up time.
Class CostThe class tuition depends upon the location of the class.
- Williston - $5,300
- Minot - $6,000
- Dickinson - $6,500
TrainND's CDL training program is a short-term, non-credit program, therefore, we do not offer financial aid or tuition assistance.
Students may qualify for funding from Job Service or Vocational Rehabilitation. Qualified veterans can receive tuition assistance through Post 9/11 GI Bill. More information about education benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) is available here.
TrainND does not provide lodging and/or travel accommodations for our classes.
- March 1st - 19th, 2021 - Williston
- March 29th - April 16th, 2021 - Williston and Dickinson
- April 26th - May 14th, 2021 - Williston and Minot
- May 24th - June 11th, 2021 - Williston and Dickinson
- June 21st - July 9th, 2021 - Williston and Minot
- July 19th - August 6th, 2021 - Williston and Dickinson
- August 16th - September 3rd, 2021 - Williston and Minot
- September 13th - October 3rd, 2021 - Williston and Dickinson
- October 11th - 29th, 2021 - Williston and Minot
- November 8th - 26th, 2021 - Williston and Dickinson
- December 6th - 24th, 2021 - Williston and Minot